A large range of ferrous casting solutions
CR Maryborough foundry offers a large range of ferrous casting solutions, servicing both domestic and international markets to our delighted customers.
Located in Queensland, Australia, the CR foundry has a long history, being in continuous operation for over 100 years. Today it draws on this experience and expertise to deliver globally recognised and leading-edge products.
We specialise in high integrity, structural steel cast products for demanding mining applications. These include bucket lips for excavators, rope shovels and wheel loaders, along with dragline, G.E.T & rigging components. We also offer casting solutions across a broad range of industries including Power Generation, Oil & Gas, Recycling Industry, Sugar, Heavy Transport and Cement.
Our capabilities include large Electric Arc Furnaces (EAF) for superior steel melting, chemically bonded sand moulding techniques and proprietary heat treatment processing, allowing the production of superior quality castings from 100 – 20,000 kg.
CR Maryborough is an industry-leading foundry, with the business investing heavily in state-of-the-art equipment. This focus on continuous improvement ensures Australian Manufacturing is here to stay.
Industries we service
- Power Generation
- Recycling Industry
- Sugar Industry
- Heavy Transport
- Oil and Gas
- Mineral Processing
A highly skilled team
CR Foundry employs a range of onsite foundry specialists such as methods engineers, metallurgists and welding engineers. These highly skilled and experienced workers are essential to producing consistent, high-quality castings.
Engineering, Casting Design & Simulation
- Our onsite Engineers utilise Solidworks for draughting and modelling of all products
- Highly skilled methods Engineers employ Magma Software to undertake casting simulations
- Our foundry staff have experience in converting complex fabrications to superior single casting solutions
- Globally experienced onsite Metallurgical Engineers able to assist in material selection and/or creation to suit design requirements
Melting Facilities & Processes
- Maryborough Foundry has 2 x Electric Arc Furnaces (EAF) for melting
- Products are created with superior steel quality from clean steel technology and a proprietary melting process
- We employ state-of-the-art Optical Emission Spectrometers (OES) and Hydris for chemical analysis
- The foundry produces a wide range of alloys including:
- Carbon & Low Alloy Steel
- Manganese Steel
- Ni Resist
- High Chrome & Ni-Hard Wear Resistant Iron
- Cast Irons
- With both Heavy Jobbing and an automated moulding loop, the foundry is well suited to produce smaller, high volume and larger, low volume parts
- A chemical bonded, ‘hard sand’ moulding system is employed, with high production (60T/hr) mixers
- We utilise an industry-leading sand reclamation system
Heat Treatment Facilities
Maryborough’s heat treatment and quench facilities ensure large and heavy section products can be processed to ensure optimal mechanical properties.
- 5 x Heat treatment ovens to a capacity of 6.3 x 5.4 metres
- Water quench facilities capable of handling 6.4 x 6.4 metres
- The ability to complete processes including Normalise, Anneal, Quench, Temper and Stress Relieve
- The ability to complete low, medium and high-temperature processes including High 850-1150°C (Anneal, Normalize, Quench Hardening), Medium 500-690°C (Temper) and Low 150-200°C (Stress Relieve, Age)
Quality & Testing Capabilities
Products are stringently tested to ensure the highest quality and performance in the field. Testing capabilities include:
- Hardness Testing (Brinell, Rockwell and Leeb)
- Magnetic Particle Inspection
- Liquid Penetrant Testing
- Ultrasonic Testing
- Mechanical Testing (Tensile and impact testing)
- Microstructure Assessment
- Dimensional - 3D Laser Scanning and CMM (Faro Arm)
- Gauging - Gauge design and calibration ensuring repeatability
Fabrication & Welding
- Welding procedures are approved and controlled by an on-site qualified Welding Engineer to both Australian and International standards
- Robotic welders are used for high-quality fabrications and welding applications
Maryborough Foundry employs best practice machining, skills and experience across a vast size range of products. Equipment used to provide world-class results includes:
- CNC Machining Centres
- Elgamill Milling machine
- Horizontal Boring
CR has been part of the Central Queensland community for more than 40 years and plays an important role in the Maryborough foundry’s rich history spanning over 100 years. We are committed to delivering a safe and sustainable work environment and continue to support our 110 staff, their families and our local community. We are proud to be a major regional employer, a supporter of local businesses and investing in Australian Manufacturing.
CR Foundry forms part of CR, which prides itself as being a market-leading supplier to major mining OEMs on an international level. CR Maryborough is supported by a global company, covering most major mining regions, with dual headquarters in the USA and Australia.
Accreditation & Affiliations
AS/NZS ISO 45001: 2018
Occupational Health and Safety Management
AS/NZS ISO 9001:2015
(Quality) International Standards
Australian Foundry Institute
American Foundry Society